Done as a whole, the lesson plan could take several weeks. Some of the individual activities could be used on their own.
Sample activities within We Have You Surrounded include students:
- “Testing” their ability to identify corporate logos and images versus those of “social justice” groups.
- Cataloging all the products/brands they encounter during a portion of their day.
- Discussing the impact of being surrounded by certain types of messages while other types are sparingly present.
- Researching a chosen product to assess its life cycle and impact on people, animals and the planet, from beginning to end.
- Exploring the business practices of corporations and developing a guideline defining good corporate citizenship.
- Exploring the impact of economic globalization on others.
- Role playing a scenario that involves a multinational corporation’s activities in another country and brainstorming solutions that benefit all and harm none.
Like our blog? Please share it with others, comment, and/or subscribe to our RSS feed.