"So the stickers tend to reproduce the normalness of (1) being paired up with (2) someone of the other sex, (3) having children, (4) a gender hierarchy, and (5) the imperative that men be taller than women." I was happy to see that in addition to the gender hierarchy, the post mentioned that in the typical ranking "all humans take precedence over animals," noting the normality given to speciesism in our culture.
Read the complete post.
If we visit the website selling the decals and customized options for our family, we can note several additional interesting messages, such as:
- the males wear pants; the females wear dresses;
- the males can wear glasses; the females don't;
- the males have short hair; the females have long hair;
- the males engage in active pastimes, such as hockey, football, and soccer; the females are gardeners, ice skaters and cheerleaders (both genders can play golf, fish, and be cowboys/girls);
- there are 27 different head options for males; there are 9 for females;
- there are 3 choices for family "pets."
Like our blog? Please share it with others, comment, and/or subscribe to the RSS feed.